David Gonski’s Discontent: Why big business needs to do more for the community
Tonight David Gonski AC will deliver the ‘Australian Oration’ at the annual Business Events Sydney Ambassador Dinner on the topic of 'Community discontent with big business'. Each year a prominent leader gives an address about their experiences and view of our nation. In 2015, John Howard OM AC spoke about The Global Economic Future.
Mr Gonski said, “We must not forget that people are at the heart of our businesses and as industry leaders we must do more to give back, particularly via the not-for-profit sector”.
NSW Premier Mike Baird, Patron of the Business Events Sydney Ambassador Program, will invest 12 leaders into their new roles helping to promote NSW on the world stage. They join 90 Ambassadors from priority sectors who are boosting our knowledge economy by volunteering their time, and sharing their networks and insights to secure prestigious international business events.
“The Ambassadors are inspiring individuals and I’m confident their involvement in this program will raise Sydney’s profile on the world stage, and lead to some great international business events being secured for Sydney. From this December, our new convention centre will begin hosting events that will provide lasting benefits for NSW,” Mr Baird said.
New 2016 Ambassadors:
• Moya Dodd, Partner, Gilbert + Tobin Lawyers
• Karen Stocks, Board Member Netball Australia, Outgoing Managing Director, Twitter Australia
• Alex Malley, Chief Executive, CPA Australia
• Cassandra Kelly, Chair and co-founder, Pottinger
• Phil Aiken AM, Non-Exec. Chairman Balfour Beatty, Non-Exec. Director Newcrest Mining
• Michael Rose AM, Chairman, Committee for Sydney
• Dr Michael Spence, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of Sydney
• Prof S Bruce Dowton, President and Vice-Chancellor, Macquarie University
• Prof Carolyn McGregor AM, Canada Research Chair of Health Informatics, Ontario University Institute of Technology
• Prof Robert M. Graham AO, Executive Director, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
• Prof Mary-Anne Williams, Director, Disruptive Innovation, University Technology Sydney
• Prof David Sinclair, Geneticist, Harvard Medical School and the University of New South Wales
CEO of Business Events Sydney, Lyn Lewis-Smith confirmed, “Ambassadors help Australia win significant events that increase our global competitiveness and can lead to incredible breakthroughs. Today we welcome leaders like David Sinclair, Sydney-born longevity researcher who is working on a ‘cure for ageing’, and Moya Dodd, winner of the 2016 AFR 100 Women of Influence award. They join outstanding minds like Professor Susan Scott, who helped prove Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity and Professor Michelle Simmons who is at the forefront of quantum computing.”